Thursday 11 October 2012

Phoebe, commissioned full size figure


Phoebe, commissioned work, direct cement on wire mesh, 180cm height, 2012

I have been working on this commission for a year - the clients have been very patient.  There weren't enough funds for a bronze cast from an original modelled in clay or plaster, so this method of building the figure in wire mesh and rendering directly in cement was agreed.  It meant avoiding the problematic weakness of seams in a cement cast with a mould taken from an original modelled in clay. 

I started with drawings exploring ideas for the pose based on the specific location, then 20cm maquettes modelled in wax based on the drawings that the client preferred.  From the selected maquette, I first made a half size version of the figure, testing out the design for the armature and my method of working.  I have to admit I found this process pretty daunting to contemplate - there is no time to make any significant modifications once the cement is applied, and it has to be done in one go, avoiding applying a fresh mix to cement that has cured.  I was lucky to have a good friend, Geoff, mixing the cement for me (2 parts sand, 1 part brick dust), which enabled me to work quickly without interruptions.  Thanks Geoff!




No comments: