Thursday 14 August 2014

Cley 14




CLEY 14  North Norfolk Exhibition Project
I was honoured to be asked by the curators Polly Binns and Rod Bugg to create eight figures to install on the medieval pedestals situated high up within the spandrels of the beautiful, largely C15th church of St. Margaret of Antioch in Cley, Norfolk.   It was hoped I would be able to create 10 figures - there are fourteen pedestals in total - so I included two birds as I was only able to produce eight figures in the time available - all in balsa wood and/or card.  The church is already richly endowed with medieval carvings - it is a delight.

The installation was really difficult to capture in a photograph, and I am  grateful to Pete Huggins who rescued me after my many failed attempts with a fine set of images which includes these shown here.
The figures all referenced nature in one way or other and carried a symbol to this affect reflecting the medieval format.  The Nature figure shown above, second down, was inspired by a C13th  illumination of nature in a manuscript of Artistotle's "Physics".  Other figures included St. Francis, St. George, Adam, Eve, Flora, Archaic Priestess (above), The Good Shepherd.

No comments: